Monday, October 10, 2011

New Store, sort of?


I have been pleased with the reception my Wooly Sheepy has gotten. As of this writing, 106 Ravelers have put it in their "favorites," 25 have put it in their queue, and 1 person (besides myself) has cast on. It's modest, but for my first pattern and for a toy, I'm satisfied. I'm hard at work on another design, that I hope to add by the end of November.

In other news and on a completely unrelated note, I do have a new project. A few years ago, I was working at an eccentric foreign-language summer camp. One co-worker was something of a legend among the staff; he was a cook who worked mainly in the German camp, but had also worked in the Portuguese and Italian camps over the years, among others. He was awesome, fun to be around, a little wacky but also smart, and enigmatic. Anyway, he opened this online shop of sorts, where he sold a random assortment of things with a cartoon of this face on them: t-shirts, sweatshirts and mousepads as well as boxer shorts and clocks.

I've been looking for a medium to get more of my work out "there," wherever "there" is, and the aforementioned shop, CafePress.com, came to mind. I found it via facebook, looked into the specifics, and began uploading. I'm still adding products and learning to use the site, but it's open for business. I am open to suggestions, so if there is anything you'd like to see, contact me.

I don't expect or intend to make a living off of this venture, and I certainly don't expect to get rich. My prices are set conservatively above the base price, which is why there can be a wide gap between similar projects. CafePress sets their base price, which is essentially the cost to produce the item. My sale prices are a conservative percentage above the base, and I make a small commission from my sale price.

No comments:

Post a Comment