Thursday, September 5, 2013

My First Quilt: Part 3

When we left off, I had cut the fabric and drawn myself a map.

When I picked it up again, I realized many of my cuts were off and I had lost my map.

If the cuts were just crooked, I could have made it work. And many of them were, but there were a few that were waves. I'll post a picture as soon as I can find one, but I have no idea what happened. I couldn't repeat it if I tried.

I put on my blinders and kept sewing--despite all common sense--because I could sort it all out later and it would be fine. I was lying.

I had no map. I did not have all the blocks that I started with. I had no idea what I was going to do.

I ripped out most of the seams that had been sewn, and sorted and counted my blocks again. Then I started arranging them on the floor until it seemed to work again. I had to make two important sacrifices:

  1. The quilt would be whatever size it wanted to be. It definitely would not cover a queen size bed as intended, and probably wouldn't even cover a twin. It will hang out at the foot of the bed, I guess?
  2. Apparent randomness went out the window. The blocks would have to follow a certain sequence so that one block didn't touch any two of the same.

That is how we arrived at this picture:

I didn't just draw a map this time. Oh, no. I drew a map, and labelled it, and stapled a swatch of each fabric to the map. Then I took about six dozen pictures. You know, just in case I accidentally deleted 71 of them.

When I put the blocks away, I kept them arranged in their rows, paper clipping a scrap of paper with the row number written on it. The rows were then stacked chronologically--it would be smooth sailling from here on out.

Ten o'clock on a Friday night. Bo was almost as tired as I was. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment